Thursday, November 19, 2009

Italian relief-work display

One of my favorite things to take pictures of when we were in Italy has always been the relief work. It is all over the place--everywhere you look, even on "regular" buildings you will find the coolest moldings and pillars and doors etc. I have always wanted to do something kinda cool with the picts. A couple weeks ago our ward did a super saturday craft day and one of the projects was these super fun picture blocks. They were meant to have pictures of your kids and family on them but I thought that it would be fun to finally put some of my Italy pictures to good use. The square blocks were already cut for me. I just needed to sand them down and then Modge Podge scrapbook paper to the sides (applying the MP to the underside of the paper.) After that was dry I printed off black and white pictures of my choice--just on regular paper. I cut them to size and ModgePodged those, again applying to underside of paper. After that was dry I painted on one more layer of ModgePodge to cover everything, this time applying the MP to the Topside of the paper. After allowing that to dry I was finally able to add my embellishments...and WahLah! Now I have a cute way to display my love of Italian rennaisance reliefs.


3 comments:

Becky said...

Totally inspiring. I can't get enough Italy, so I would totally love looking at these at your house. Great job- you're so creative.

Nettie! said...

Great idea!

Des said...

Those turned out awesome. I love that you put those italy pics on there, instead of the family pics. I love them!